Sunday, December 16, 2007

Hello World! (Part 1)

My First 3 Months

Hello and welcome to my first blog entry! It's hard to believe 7 months have passed since I was born, and now that I've hit a good rhythm with the parental unit I'm ready to jump on the blogger's bandwagon. Vitals first and then we can move on to the fun stuff! My Mommy Cia had a most uneventful pregnancy with me, or so she and my Mommy Jenny thought! You'd think a clean bill of health, excellent pre-natal check-ups and no morning sickness would be ideal, because it sure felt that way. Things were rolling right along and everyone fully exected I'd arrive right around my due date in June.

I had other plans.

Here I am on my birthday...


On May 15, 2007 at 7:19am, I decided it was time to greet the world. Even though I was a little early, the doctors said I was a "near-term" baby and thought I'd weigh around 6lbs. Boy were they shocked when I came out at only 2lbs, 12ozs! Yeah, I was really, really small! They wisked me away to the NICU and hooked me up to wires and monitors and watched me for a couple of weeks to make sure I was OK.

Here are some more pictures of me when I was still in the hospital:


Here I am with my Mommy Cia...


...and this is my Mommy Jenny.


Despite my small size the doctors said I was very healthy. I had a healthy set of lungs and a healthy appetite. No one knows why I ended up being so small - some even asked if my parents had the right due date, but they think that Mommy Cia developed pre-eclampsia (high blood pressure during pregnancy) sometime during the middle of her pregnancy. She didn't have any symptoms though so it took everyone by surprise. That's the funny (and scary) thing about pre-eclampsia. It can come without warning sometimes. After 2 1/2 weeks in the hospital the doctors felt I was doing an awesome job growing so they cleared me to come home. Yay!


That first month seemed a little hairy, but it went by very quickly. During my second month I spent most of my time getting adjusted to life at home and essentially sleep-depriving my parents.

See how tired I made my Mommy Cia?


They say our first three months are usually spent being a baby bump on a log. Lots of eating, sleeping and pooping. Followed with more eating, sleeping and pooping. Did I mention the pooping? By the end of my third month my personality really started to come out in spite of the massive eating, sleeping and pooping. The Moms started to understand what my crying meant, they learned how to quickly change a diaper (and not get hit with a wizzer of the errant pee stream) and they began to function pretty well without much sleep at all. It doesn't take too much to train those parents, you know...all it takes is some persistence.

And so with thoughts of eating, sleeping and pooping, I end Part 1 of my very first blog posting. My first three months were a whirlwind. A bit of dramatic entrance to the world, but it's been smooth sailing ever since! Check again soon to learn more about how the next few months have been. I've had a bunch of firsts recently, so I hope you tune in!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome baby Jackson! You look great for being born a little peanut. I'm glad the moms did'nt freak when your uncle gave you a big turkey drumstick! Ha! I enjoy watching the Patriots with you. If they keep this up we will have a Patriots superbowl party!! Go Pats!!!
-Uncle Rob

Anonymous said...

Dear Grandson,You can't imagine how much you have changed since Grandad and I last saw you. I'm glad to hear that you sleep a little longer at night now. I hear you are eating a more varied menu too. Soon we'll be together at Christmas and we'll sing some songs and play peek-a-boo.Love,
Grandma Page 12-17-07

Jennifer Hughes said...

My little Jlee, You have no idea how much Mommy Cia enjoys creating this blog for you! Well, at least all these pictures we take of you will get out there in the world. :)
love, mama jenny